We adults think a lot about school success for the children we love. As we think about the cognitive and social skills that children need, we can sometimes overlook the practical skills that are the foundation for learning. Montessori knew that the independence a child gains through these skills leads to self-confidence and an “I can do it” attitude.
For school, your child will need:
- Soft bottom slippers for the classroom.
- A water bottle your child can open independently.
- Salem Montessori provides a tote bag for each child to carry to school.
The photos and links here are examples of items to look for when shopping for school:
- Soft, simple classroom slippers (Robeez, Soft Star and Acorn are popular brands).
- Velcro or slip-on closed-toed shoes – no shoestrings and no sandals!
- Comfy, pull-on clothing without snaps, buttons, or zippers (makes it easy for diapering or potty).
- Trash-free lunch box with multiple compartments. Contact the office to purchase a Yumbox for $20.
- Easy-open water bottle.
- Labels for absolutely everything to clearly designate your child’s belongings.
- Rain boots and rain jacket.