School Supply List
We adults think a lot about school success for the children we love. As we think about the cognitive and social skills that children need, we can sometimes overlook the practical skills that are the foundation for learning.
Montessori knew that the independence a child gains through these skills leads to self-confidence and an “I can do it” attitude.
For preschool, your child will need:
- Soft bottom slippers for the classroom.
- A water bottle your child can open independently.
- A snack container and lunch box (if applicable) that your child can open and close.
EXAMPLES OF ITEMS TO LOOK FOR WHEN SHOPPING FOR SCHOOL: (View PDF to make shopping easy)
– Velcro or slip-on closed-toed shoes. Children will be running, playing in mulch, sand and dirt. Please also choose shoes your child can work toward getting on and off independently. Please no tie shoes or cowboy boots. These will stay at school.
– Comfy, pull-on clothing without snaps, buttons, or zippers (makes it easy for diapering or potty).
– Trash-free snack and lunch boxes with multiple compartments. Yumbox is a popular brand. Please practice opening and closing containers with your child.
– Labels for absolutely everything to clearly designate your child’s belongings.