From 18 months to six years old, we offer a variety of programs to help our students learn and to achieve their greatest potential.
Every Salem Montessori School classroom is led by a Montessori-trained teacher – either trained with the American Montessori Society or the Montessori Society Internationale.
Our programs are partly inspired by the education philosophy developed in the schools of Reggio Emilia, Italy, which we believe can enhance a strong Montessori program.
Dates are now open for the spring session:
The Toddler Program is designed to meet the specific developmental needs of toddlers. The classroom is full of materials to support the development of fine and gross motor skills, practical life skills, language and independence. It also provides ample opportunities to acquire and practice the skills needed to be a member of a community – primarily, respect for the environment, respect for self, and respect for others.
Children are provided a supportive, nurturing environment in which their individual strengths and interests are allowed to develop and flourish. In doing this, we strive to encourage the children’s natural curiosity and set the foundations of a lifelong love of learning.
Toddlers may be enrolled for either two, three, or five days a week in the 9 am-12 pm session and may stay for Lunch Bunch from Noon-1 p.m.
Designed to entice children to activity, carefully prepared materials are considered to become “motives for activity” through which a child develops confidence, self-esteem, and consideration for others, as well as basic cognitive understandings.
The mixed-age primary classrooms contain children ranging in age from 3 by August 30th, to 6 years of age.
The Montessori 3 to 6 environment is divided into five areas of work:
- “Practical Life” activities are designed to help children learn how to successfully manage their environment. These activities include care of self (shoe polishing, zipping, buttoning), care of the environment (dusting, scrubbing, sweeping, mopping), food preparation, and gardening.
- “The Sensorial Area” introduces a particular physical quality perceived by the senses, and used to describe and categorize the world, such as color, dimension, and weight.
- “The Language Area” capitalizes on young children’s natural sensitivity to the human language which surrounds them. Teachers expose children to all kinds of rich oral language, as well as introduces them to materials designed to give them the tools for developing and practicing writing and reading.
- “The Math Area” is filled with materials that give children years of practice working with concrete manifestations of abstract mathematical concepts, such as linear counting, the decimal system, geometric shapes, and mathematical functions. The math materials build on the child’s experience in the Sensorial Area.
- “The Cultural Subjects Area” includes art, history, geography, music and science.
Children’s House may be enrolled for either three, or five days a week in the 9 am-12 pm session and may stay for Lunch Bunch from Noon-1 p.m.
The Explorers program is designed for children in their second or third year in Children’s House. To join Explorers, a child must be 4 by the start of school and have had a year of Montessori.
The Explorers spend the morning in one of our 3-6 classrooms until lunchtime, at which time the older children from both 3-6 classrooms join together to have lunch and spend time together. Having a smaller group of just older children allows for more advanced, age-appropriate exploration of each of the Montessori areas. This setting also allows for reading long chapter books out loud, taking walks around the Old Salem, as well as eagerly exploring reading, writing, mathematical calculations, geography, science and art.
Explorers may be enrolled for either three, or five days a week in the 9 am-12 pm session and may stay for Lunch Bunch from Noon-1 p.m.
We are delighted to partner with Salem Academy and College for the Elementary School at SMS. The school will share the SMS Playground (during different hours) and have access to Old Salem (as we already do) as well as some of the amenities of Salem Academy and College. The school hours will be 8:45 am to 2:30 pm.
Email email@example.com if you would like admissions information.