The staff at Salem Montessori School are the backbone of our school community. They commit to a set of responsibilities and characteristics that define what it is to be an outstanding educator, serving the needs of students, families, colleagues, the school, and themselves.
As a dedicated practitioner working to develop the full potential of children, I
- Enjoy and respect children.
- Understand that children love to mimic what they see and hear and as such seek to serve as a primary role model of the traits we want to engender in children.
- Understand the importance of planes of development and use this awareness to guide child centered learning.
- Harness the power of observation to guide students on their own unique educational.
- Harness the power of the environment in serving as the link between the child and classroom materials.
- Encourage initiative, independence, and self reliance.
As a curious practitioner who thrives on new discoveries, I
- Collaborate with colleagues, eager to share with them and learn from them.
- Reflect on my practice, seeking greater understanding of the application of Montessori principles and the science of teaching and learning with an earnest desire to maximize my potential.
- Embrace the transformative power of ongoing personal and professional development.
- Participate in a yearlong reflection process guided by goals and informed through observation.
I also understand the power of my role and understand that we have…
… a commitment to our students. First and foremost to protect the health and safety of the students in our charge and ensure that our environment is welcoming and affirming to all learners with a curriculum that is inclusive of the diversity that our world presents. We have a responsibility to provide an outstanding learning environment in accordance with the school’s Mission Statement and Guiding Principles.
… a commitment to our family community. To protect the emotional and physical safety of their children while in our charge. The employee must keep confidential personal information about the student and his/her family that the parent shares in confidence.
… a commitment towards the school, its reputation and its educational success. Key to this is communication and ensuring that the principle of Grace and Courtesy is at the forefront of our communication with all stakeholders (staff, students, families, and visitors).
… a commitment to one another, to support and nurture one another in the workplace. Employees should show concern for one another and seek to support colleagues as they strive to meet the needs of our stakeholders through implementation of the Montessori pedagogy.
… a commitment for herself, as teaching is taxing both physically and emotionally, staff should reflect on being healthy and well rested and seek opportunities to enrich their experience through professional development.